Neoprene Benefits & Advantages
Neoprene is a multipurpose elastomer due to its balance of inherent properties. It was originally used as an oil-resistant replacement for natural rubber.
The benefits and advantages of using neoprene are its
- Outstanding physical toughness
- Resistance to heat and hydrocarbon oils
- Resistance to the degradation effects of sun, ozone and weather
- Wider short and long-term operating temperature range than other general-purpose hydrocarbon elastomers
- Better flame retardant/self-extinguishing characteristics than exclusively hydrocarbon-based elastomers
- Outstanding resistance to damage caused by twisting and flexing
- Compoundability: Neoprene's polymer structure can be modified to create a material compound with a wide range of chemical and physical properties
Given neoprene's excellent balance of properties, it remains a material of choice for many automotive and mass transit applications.